Expanding St Nicholas Church in Wales Primary School
Consultation on the proposal to expand St Nicholas Church in Wales Primary School from 126 places to 210 places to meet future demand for Church in Wales Education, and change the lowest age range of pupils at the school from 4 to 3, to consist of the addition of a nursery class containing 48 part time places from September 2021
Introduction to the proposal
The proposal is to change the lowest age range of St Nicholas CIW Primary School from 4 to 3 to include 48 part time nursery places and expand the school from 126 places to 210 places from September 2021.
A new 210 place school for St Nicholas CIW Primary School has been included as part of the Vale of Glamorgan Council’s 21st Century Schools programme. It is proposed that the new school would be built on the existing site, with all staff and pupils transferring to the new building by September 2021.
Reasons for the proposal
There is a need to meet future demand from the new housing developments in the Vale, as well as improve the educational facilities at St Nicholas CIW Primary School.
- A number of large scale housing developments are planned for the Vale of Glamorgan area requiring additional school places. Increasing the number of school places at St Nicholas CIW Primary School from 126 to 210 offers a more efficient and sustainable model than opening an additional 210 place Church in Wales school.
- The school is split over two sites with reception pupils having to walk to the nearby church hall following morning assembly. There is no path along this stretch of road making it unsafe for young pupils.
- The classrooms are of an uneven size making it difficult to meet the needs of the curriculum for the current number of pupils attending the school or to meet increasing demand from new developments.
- It would not be possible to refurbish teaching areas to fully meet 21st century standards.
- By replacing the school with a new build at its current site, pupils would be educated in a high quality modern building supporting the delivery of a broad and balanced curriculum.
The consultation period ran from 18th March 2019 to 3rd May 2019.
The Governing Body of St Nicholas CIW Primary is grateful to everyone who took the time to consider the proposal and to those who let us know their views. All comments were considered by the Governing Body on 23 May 2019.
The consultation report, letter and revised community impact assessment are available to download. Hard copies of the report are available on request by contacting the school below: